Speaker Intro Peggy Liu JUCCCE
Cultural Bridges - Service Jobs of the 21st Century- Peggy Liu at TEDxShanghaiWo
Peggy Liu Eat Forum Interview
Peggy Liu at Eat Forum
- Talk (picture above): World Economic Forum New Champions Plenary "How Being a Young Global Leader Taught me about Human Leadership"
- Magazine cover feature: China Business News 《第一财经周刊》 "Top 50 Innovative Leaders"
- Program: Stone Soup Collaborative Leadership. A new model for training collaborative leaders and organizations to help society and institutions address today’s larger, more complex challenges. (Launched at World Economic Forum Davos 2011) www.stonesoupleaders.org
- Magazine cover (picture below): Manager Magazin "McKinsey Alumni"
- Magazine cover feature (picture above): Harpers Bazaar women role models
- Talk: Women Role Models in STEM and entrepreneurship. Inspiring stories on how I went from MIT to Vogue, from “Internet Pioneer” to China’s “Green Goddess.”
- Talk: "Calling Women Leaders" How women can change the world for the better as collaborative leaders to convene, facilitate, and catalyze change. How can we identify and nurture these women? What organizations do we need to surround them with to succeed? Why are capable women choosing NOT to lead? How can design of infrastructure and products better encourage more gender equality in the workforce?
- Talk: "Tips for Women in Media" Workshop leader at World Economic Forum Young Global Leader summit 2015. How can we fully embrace femininity in our leadership style and media presence? How can we align our personal brand and our corporate image in the media?
- Documentary: Featured in Voice of America 2015 “A Single Step: Journeys of Women Leaders" covering my work in the environment and celebrating the 20th anniversary of the UN Women's Conference.
- Video: "Role Models" playing on hotel TVs across JW Marriott Hotels Asia Pacific 2016.
- Magazine cover feature: SeptemberVogue "3 Women Who Better the World"
- Magazine cover feature: L’Officiel "China's Most Successful Women"
- Magazine cover feature: Psychologies "10 Green Handkerchiefs" award
- Magazine cover feature: Elle sustainability leader
- Magazine cover feature: Jessica "Most Successful Women" 2013
- Newspaper Feature: The Guardian "Women in Sustainability"
- Newspaper Feature: Forbes 'Women to Watch in Asia" in 2010
- Magazine cover feature (picture below): Madame Figaro "Top Life" award 2012
- Panel (picture above): Clinton Global Initiative 2008 "Renewables Revolution"
- Magazine cover: Time Magazine Hero of the Environment in 2008
- Magazine cover feature: The Diplomat "China's Green Goddess"
- Talk: "China as a Cleantech Laboratory" Keynote opening speech at the first ever TEDxChristChurch
- Talk: "Is China really going green?" Beyond solar and wind manufacturing, what’s happening in China’s energy and environment scene? Does China really want to go green? Can it go green fast enough? (Keynote at Hult Business School (Shanghai) "Visionary Leaders speaker series" Dec, 2013, Keynote at Green Mondays in London)
- Documentary: Discovery Channel documentaries "Powering the Future"
- Documentary: Discovery Channel "How China Works"
- Radio: ABC 774 radio (Australia) "Effective environmentalism in China and globally"
- Ensia "China Is a Model for Going Green (Despite What You Read)" Sep 10, 2013
- Documentary: "Catching the Sun"
- Magazine cover: Beijing Tatler “Green Miracle”
- Book mention: "Gray Rhino", Michelle Wucker
- Book mention: "End of Copycat China", Shaun Rein
- Book mention: "Visions 2100: Stories from Your Future", John O'Brien
- Book mention: "The World We Made", Jonathan Poritt
- Book mention: "Green Recovery", Andrew Winston
- Book mention: "Green Gold: 11 Sustainable Entreprenuers and Their Secrets"
- Accomplishment: JUCCCE's China Smart Grid Cooperative helped catalyze the world's top electrical grid company, China's State Grid, to invest USD7.2 billion in implementing smart grid across China by 2020. JUCCCE also helped Yangzhou city build China's first smart grid business hub "Smart Valley". www.juccce.org/smartgrid
- Newspaper Feature (picture above): Global Times “Green Goddess"
- International New York Times "Environmental Laureates' Declaration on Climate Change" Sept 15, 2014 [The 160 Signatories]
- Ensia"A Path Forward for International Climate Talks" Jun 24, 2014
- Won the The Economist Debate on "Why China is doing more on climate change leadership than the US" Nov 2009
- Huffington Post Debate on "Why China is doing more on climate change leadership than the US" Nov 2009 "3 Win-Win Areas for US-China Collaboration" 2009
- Newspaper Feature: Listed in The Guardian "Gallery of Climate Change Abolitionists"
- Advisory Work: Governor of the climate action focused Hillary Institute
- Awarded the Hillary Step for climate change solutions in 2012
- Awarded the Hillary Laureate of 2010 for climate change leadership in 2010
- TV (picture above): Guest on half-hour CNN talk show "On China" on regarding China's urbanization
- Program: I've been a professor on sustainable urbanization for mayors across China at government academies since 2008 and helped create momentum behind the concept of "eco-city" in China. Our classes have trained 1000 mayors and central government bureau heads. www.juccce.org/training
- Documentary: Discovery Channel's "Waterfront Cities: Shanghai"
- Talk: TEDx上海 x Salon Ecolivable Cities on 9 principles for designing eco-livable cities. Launch of the New Urbanization Council.
- Talk: EAT Forum 2015 "China: from hunger to obesity in one generation". How JUCCCE is combining planetary and personal health curriculum to change the diets of 94 million primary school children across China. And how this curriculum can be localized for countries around the world.
- Program: "A New Way To Eat" is China's first curriculum for primary school children teaching them how to eat in a way that is good for you and good for the planet: www.juccce.org/eat. How can personal and planetary health be addressed at the same time? The rate at which obesity and diabetes is rising around the world is alarming. Food is our number one source for greenhouse gas emissions.
- Advisory Work: The EAT Forum of which I sit on the advisory board is focused on how to feed people sustainability www.eatforum.org
- Magazine cover feature, Authored Article: United Nations Environment Programme Our Planet "A New Way to Eat" 2015
- Authored Article: Huffington Post"Kids as Food Heroes: Piloting a New Way to Eat in China" Jun 3, 2015
- Documentary: "Cities Changing Diabetes"
- Talk (picture above): BMW Foundation World Young Leaders Forum "Going Sustainable –Towards Quality Growth in China and the World"
- Program: The China Dream. Reimagining prosperity, retelling the story of sustainability to reshape consumption. The path to moving from conspicuous consumption to a more sustainable China. www.juccce.org/chinadream
- Talk: TEDxOccidentalCollege on sustainable consumption "Dream in a box"
- Advisory Work: Plan A advisory board to the CEO of Marks and Spencer for sustainable retail
- Magazine cover: Southern People Weekly "Green Giants"
- Magazine cover feature: Oriental Outlook 《东方周刊》 "China Dream"
- New York Times, Tom Friedman "China Needs Its Own Dream"
- Authored Article: Huffington Post "Sustainability Needs to Move From Gloom to Hope" Mar 27, 2013
- Talk: Ensia keynote "Sustainability is Dead" Mar 12, 2013
- Talk: WWF Netherlands keynote "China Dream" (start at 2:55)
- Magazine cover feature, Authored Article:Solutions Journal Special issue for UN Rio + 20 "Sustainable Consumerism Begins in China" June 2012
- Authored Article: The Guardian "China dream: A lifestyle movement with sustainability at its heart" June 13, 2012
- Talk: World PR Forum keynote "Addressing the Climate Communication Challenge"
- Talk (picture above): TED 2014: "China’s pollution problem, everyone’s problem" What are China's 7 advantages in going green?
- Program: A View into China. www.juccce.org/viewintochina JUCCCE brings high level international delegates to meet key decision makers and influencers across different sectors in China to create safe spaces for deeper dialogue.
- Program: Building Trust with Westerners. Curriculum for government officials in China.
- Talk: TEDxShanghaiWmn 2013: Cultural Bridges- the New Service Jobs. In a more global business world, cultural convening will be an important new service job to find new business opportunities.
- Talk: A View into China. Keynotes at HSBC, Julius Baer, ANZ, Colonial First. With JUCCCE's unique access across sectors to key decision makers and influencers across China, we explain key insights on how you can better collaborate with China. The rise of China is not just a short-term phenomenon. It’s in the middle of a 40-year construction spurt. Learn how you can take advantage of this growth, rather than be taken advantage of. How will this growth go beyond China's boundaries to stretch from Spain to Singapore and down to Africa with the One Belt One Road initiative?
- Authored Article: Harvard Business Review "If You Want to Change the World, Partner with China" Nov 22, 2013
- Magazine cover feature:Foreign Policy list of top influencers of US-China relations
Peggy Liu, Chairperson of JUCCCE, is internationally recognized for her expertise on China‘s sustainability landscape and for fostering international collaboration with China. JUCCCE is a non-profit organization dedicated to accelerating the greening of China, because a green China is the key to a healthy world. JUCCCE is a leader in creating systemic change in sustainable cities, sustainable consumerism and smart grid, and most noted for its multi-sector convening power.
Key JUCCCE milestones: holding the first public dialogues between US & China on clean energy, introducing Smart Grid to China, educating ~1000 Chinese government leaders on how to build sustainable cities, creating the China Dream initiative to reimagine prosperity for sustainable consumerism, launching China's first comprehensive kids' healthy food curriculum.
She is also a Special Professor at China Academy of Governance, an executive advisor to Marks & Spencer, a Governor of the Hillary Institute, and Volans. She is a member of the FTSE Environmental Markets Committee, and a Thought Leader at Criticaleye. She served as a sustainability advisor to HP in 2013, a member of the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Councils on Sustainable Consumption 2012-13 and on New Energy Architecture 2011-12, and an energy adviser to the Clinton Global Initiative in 2008.
As one of the leading green voices in China, Peggy was honored as a World Economic Forum Young Global Leader, Foreign Policy's shaper of US-China relations, the Hillary Step for climate change solutions in 2012, a Time Magazine Hero of the Environment in 2008, the Hillary Laureate of 2010 for climate change leadership, a Forbes 'Women to Watch in Asia' in 2010, a Huffington Post 'Greatest Person of the Day' in 2011, one of China’s top 50 innovative business leaders by China Business News Weekly in 2012, Shanghai Excellence Award 2014. In Chinese press, she has been recognized as a green leader on covers and in features such as Oriental Outlook ('China Dream'), Global Times ('Green Goddess'), Beijing Tatler ('Green Miracle'), The Guardian ('Climate Change Abolitionists'), Vogue China ('3 Women Who Better the World'), Psychologies ('10 Green Handkerchiefs award'), Madame Figaro 'Top Life' award 2012, Jessica ('Most Successful Women' 2013), L’Officiel ('China's Most Successful Women' 2014).
Peggy is a frequent speaker at World Economic Forum and TED, and appears regularly on BBC, Discovery Channel, and other media. Watch her in: “A Single Step: Journeys of Women Leaders”, "Cities Changing Diabetes", "Catching the Sun".
In 2007, Peggy organized the MIT Forum on the Future of Energy in China from which JUCCCE was formed. This forum was the first public dialogue between US and Chinese government officials on clean energy in China. Prior to JUCCCE she was a venture capitalist in Shanghai. In the 1990's Peggy was on the cover of 'Red Herring Hits' as an Internet pioneer in Silicon Valley heading Channel A, one of the earliest e-commerce companies. Other executive positions in Silicon Valley included General Manager of Consumer Applications at Zaplet, a dynamic email communications platform, and VP of Marketing at SeeUthere.com. Peggy also served as a management consultant at McKinsey, a software product manager for Internet Chameleon- the first graphical user interface for surfing the Internet on Windows, product manager for Symantec C++ and Norton OEM products, and a computer programmer.
She is a graduate of Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and completed a program in Global Leadership and Public Policy for the 21st Century at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and a program at the Lee Kwan Yew School of Public Policy at the National University of Singapore.
Peggy has a passion for making the world a better place. She believes in the power of one person to inspire collaboration, that the most helpful skill is storytelling, that cultural translators will have the most important roles of the next generation, and that those who can create a better shared future, should.